Friday, August 28, 2009

Ode To Summertime (my long lost friend)...

It's only been three days, but I am already missing you, my May, June, July, and August friend. The way that I was able to sleep in and do pretty much anything I wanted for almost four months has made it extremely difficult to say goodbye to my freedom and transition back into the regimented world that is school. I'll miss my morning showers, my 1:00 Matlock hour, and my lunches with Tim. I'll miss reading books that I want to read instead of books I have to read on subjects such as periodontology, pathology, and anesthesia. I'll miss staying up late just because I can, and watching movies that I love like Anne of Green Gables and Pride and Prejudice. I already miss my flip flops. My feet feel trapped in my white clinic shoes, and each day I can't wait to get home so I can take off those awful things that hold my toes captive and allow them a precious few hours to relax and breathe before they are shoved back into the crowded space of my shoes. It will be a long nine months full of stress, studying, tears and tests before I will see you again, and even then, it won't be the same. I'll then have to join the working world and make money. Money that I haven't earned in almost two years. Money that will be fun to spend after not having it for so long. Money that might even make me forget about how much I'll be missing my summer. But until then...I'll remember all the good memories you've helped make possible over the last four months, and I'll be missing you as I read for hours on end about periodontal disease and anesthetics. I'll remember you as I study for midterms, and boards...and I'll remember you as each week passes by, making summer a little bit closer, and graduation within reach. But until then, I'll be missing you, my summertime...my long lost friend.

4 comments:

Mark Dibb said...

I met your boyfriend named summertime and Im sorry to say hes a looser. Im glad you dumped him. Your better off without the guy. I mean he had a lazy eye for heavens sake! I never knew which one to look at... creepy!!

Stacy said...

ROFL!!! You are so great Ash! I needed to read this post today. lol, you are awesome!

WRYUN said...

Hmmmmmm, some good summertime memories, but definitely glad for the autumn and wintertime!! Wahoo for the cold...

Allyson said...

oh my! you should write a funny blog! you have a great talent of writing! you always have! i remember the books you use to write! ha ha yea i know summer rocks! i'm with ya...all the homework and crying and tears straming down little girls faces.
but i also like that i get 6 YES 6 hours of just carter and I!