
Okay...I'm gonna warn all of you. This post may contain a little bit more information than you would like to know. So...if you can't handle "personal", STOP reading now. With that out of the way...let me start from the very beginning (a very good place to start)... :)
Back in May, about a week before I had Emmy, I had been going in for weekly stress tests to make sure everything was okay with the baby. Along with being hooked up to a bunch of machines, they had me pee in a cup. When the results came back from my urine sample, it was discovered that after 27 years on this earth...I had my very first UTI. It wasn't a big deal though. Heck...I didn't even know I had one! They put me on antibiotics and sent me on my way. However...this little UTI has now become quite the pest! It's been two months and I STILL have it!
The trouble began when my bladder didn't wake up right away after my epidural. The antibiotics I was on had cleared up most of the infection, but because I couldn't pee, I had to have a catheter placed three different times while I was in the hospital. LUCKY me! However, the nurses felt that I was able to go enough on my own by the time I went home that they didn't worry too much.
Six days after I had Emmy...I was at the hospital again. Only this time, it was at St. Marks, in the emergency room. I was in so much pain that I couldn't move. I had a horrible pain in my back that kept moving further up my side. Diagnosis? Kidney infection because I had let my UTI go to long untreated. Treatment? Morphine (wonderful), antibiotics, and yes...another catheter. Did I tell you how much I LOVE getting a catheter? It's just my most FAVORITE thing.
Kidney infections suck. One of the reasons is because the pain just doesn't go away. My side hurt for a good week before it started to feel better, even with the antibiotics. After I finished that round of antibiotics, they had me go in again for another urine culture, only to find that I have a super infection! Seriously...this thing is impossible! So, they put me on another dose of a different antibiotic. Ten days later...I still had the infection. They tried another antibiotic. Seven days after that, they did another culture. They didn't need to tell me that I was still infected because I could feel it. I really think my pharmacy is beginning to wonder if I'm addicted to antibiotics...
I just finished my last ten day dose. I went in for another urine sample on Thursday. The lab girl and I are now on a first name basis. I think she's going to invite me to her wedding. Okay...not really...but I'm sure she's wondering what in the heck is wrong with me and if I could please just go away. With it being the weekend, I haven't heard back from my doctor's office yet with the results. However...I am quite positive that I'm still riddled with infection. Gross, I know. I called the office answering service because I didn't want to end up in the ER again. My doctor called me back a couple hours later and guess what? I'm on yet another fabulous round of antibiotics!
Usually I can take away something useful from events or experiences in my life. However...not to sound pessimistic or anything...but there is nothing useful about this experience. Except maybe the empty antibiotic bottles. I could probably make something cool out of them if I thought about it real hard. Maybe I'll sell it on Ebay.








6 comments:
I had a few UTI's in Jr High. They told me to drink a lot of Cranberry juice. You're probably already doing that, but if not. MAYBE, just maybe it could give your antibiotics a kick in the tush to tell them to get to work. Yuck, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.
So sorry! I hope this infection leaves soon.
Oh that sounds horrible. I am sorry to hear that it's lasted this long. I hope things clear up for you soon. Let me know if you need anything!
I'm sorry you are going through this "uncomfortable" illness too. Since the first of the year I have been having the exact same situation. They thought maybe it was kidney stones causing it. The antibiotics were making me sick and I couldn't even get the urologist to do more of an extensive search for the problem, he just wanted to throw more antibiotics at me, so I have turned to natural healing.
I have been doing my own medical research which led me to cut out sugars and most of my "yeast" carbs, white breads, etc. I also take cranberry tablets (since the cranberry juices have way too much sugar) tons of filtered water and other health supplements to get the enzyms in the digestional tract back to normal. It has been over a month and I am still UTI free. (Knock-on-Wood)
If the doctors find something else is causing the reoccuring UTI's, and know how to treat it, please let me know. I'd like some more answers to what is going on with me as well!
I wish you all the best. Good luck!
What a bummer!! I've been there, done that, and was on some serious antibiotics for a while, which made me extremely sick....Good Luck!! I hope you feel better soon!!
Wow! That sounds like NOOOO fun at all! I am so sorry! Gosh everyone really does have something, don't they? If someone's life seems too perfect... just wait. Something will come along. I hope you get feeling better soon. Your little one is so cute! I love to see her pictures!
Post a Comment