Friday, July 8, 2011

More Like Emmy...

The other day I informed Tim that I thought I deserved a treat...and being the wonderful husband he is...he agreed with me :)

What was the treat you ask?

Dinner at Fiesta Ole!

Fiesta Ole is this little hole in the wall restaurant in Kearns that is a lot like
Taco Time...but better.
I love it.

Anyway, after we had ordered our food and begun enjoying the deliciousness that is Fiesta Ole, two women walked in. I noticed them instantly, and judged them based on what they looked like. I wondered to myself what had happened in the lives of these two women that would make them look so defeated. I thought about the choices that they must have made that would have been so different from my own.

I'm ashamed that I made those judgments. But I know I do it everyday without even realizing it.

A few minutes later, the two women sat in the booth directly behind us. One of them smiled and greeted Emmy. Almost instantly, she turned her little body towards these two women and started smiling right back at them. By the time we left the restaurant, Emmy had made two new friends. She could have cared less about what they looked like, where they were from, or what choices they had made in their lives. All she knew was that they were people...and she likes people. Especially ones that smile at her.

I now have a greater understanding as to why our Heavenly Father has asked us to become like little children....and although Emmy doesn't realize it, I'm grateful for her example.

She makes me want to be a better me.
That's pretty amazing :)

6 comments:

Jill said...

Great post! Definitely a good lesson for all...thanks for sharing!

John & Britta said...

Thas is a great reminder! I need to remember to be more childlike!

Anonymous said...

A) I haven't been to Fiesta Ole in a long time and B) I tend to be a little judgmental too, so Emmy is a good example to me too!

Paul and Tammy said...

Kids are definitely the best teachers and they don't even know it. I can't wait until our little one starts teaching me a thing or two :)

jake.shalise said...

Simply amazing! I loved reading this!! I could picture Emmy just smiling away. I love your wedding pictures in the post below.. you look gorgeous in every one of them! You make such a beautiful couple!

We really need to hangout, Jake has been reading the book Tim let him borrow and every time I see him reading it, it reminds me of you! :)

Tim and Heidi said...

So cute! I sure do love this girl! I do the same thing all of the time and I just don't even mean to. I'm exctied to see all the lessons Logan will teach me!