Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Cooking Breakthrough...and a Little Bit of Meatloaf

I'm not gonna lie...

I. Hate. Cooking.

Ever since the beginning of time, I have never enjoyed the process of planning, preparing, cooking, and then eating a meal that I have made. It just isn't an enjoyable experience for me. Especially the cleanup. I HATE the cleanup.

When Tim and I got married, I tried. But I would SO much rather go out and have someone else make something for me.

However...I really did put forth my best effort to be the typical good wife that makes sure there's a delicious home cooked meal ready and waiting as soon as her husband gets home from work. But my efforts lasted maybe a week at a time at most and then we'd fall back into the habit of just going out somewhere real quick.

Finally...a little over three months ago...I had a breakthrough. I knew Tim was suffering as a husband from lack of good home cooked meals. So...I decided that I needed to make a change in my very selfish lifestyle. With Tim's help, we came up with the idea of picking a certain type of meal for each day of the week. In otherwords...

Monday: Meat night
Tuesday: Mexican night
Wednesday: Italian night
Thursday: Crockpot night
Friday: Leftovers
Saturday: Going out night (my most favorite night of the week...)

One of my problems was that I would get into a rut of making the same old things over and over and then I'd just get sick of it and stop. But, picking a different type of meal for every night of the week would help me to explore more options and plan a little bit easier. Get out of my box a little bit.

Let me tell you something...this was quite possibly the most brilliant idea Tim and I have ever had. It has seriously worked miracles for me in the kitchen! I know many of you are probably thinking..."that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard...", which is fine. Kinda rude to be honest...but everyone is entitled to their opinions :)

Anyway...I feel better about my role as a wife and mother and I know that Tim is a much better fed and happier man. He looks forward to what's on the menu for the week...and as he has always been, is super helpful with getting dinner ready and cleaned up. Which...I might add...makes for a happy wife too.

So...to share a little bit of what we've been eating at our house...here's what I made for dinner on Monday, also known as Meat night in our house:

Polka Dot Meatloaf

1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 c. ketchup
1/4 c. plain breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp. worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
6 cheese sticks
1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
1 Tbsp. packed brown sugar

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In bowl, mix ground beef, 1/4 c. ketchup, breadcrumbs, worchestershire sauce, salt, and egg. Press 1/3 of ground beef mixture in bottom of ungreased 8"x4" loaf pan.

2. Place two pieces of string cheese lengthwise and evenly spaced over beef mixture, with one end of the cheese about 1/2 inch from the edge of the pan. Cut two pieces of string cheese in half crosswise. Place two half pieces on beef mixture so cheese extends full length of pan. Press cheese into beef mixture.

3. Top with half of remaining beef mixture. Top with remaining string cheese in two rows and press into beef mixture. Press remaining beef mixture over cheese. Press ends and edges of beef mixture to seal in cheese and smooth the top.

4. Bake for 45 minutes. Meanwhile in a small bowl, mix remaining 1/4 c. ketchup, the mustard and brown sugar.

5. Remove meatloaf from oven. Spoon the juices from the meatloaf, and then spoon ketchup mixture evenly over the top.

6. Return to oven and bake an additional 30 to 45 minutes .

side note: Tim and I really like the sauce that is put on top of the meatloaf, so I usually double it...


Marie Calendar's Copycat Cornbread

3 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
3 c. Bisquick
1/2 c. cornmeal
1 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. baking powder

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Combine all dry ingredients

3. Combine remaining ingredients and add to dry ingredients and mix well

4. Pour into greased 9"x13" pan

5. Bake 35 minutes

side note: Tim and I like a little bit sweeter of a cornbread...so I usually do a heaping cup of sugar...it makes it just a little bit more perfect for us...

Anyway, we completed the meal with baked potatoes and broccoli, and had a very delicious night indeed!

And...surprise...I took a picture with my amazing picture taking skills.

Hahaha :)



Enjoy!

I know we did :)

10 comments:

Paul and Tammy said...

I can somewhat relate...I don't mind cooking but what I don't like is searching for new things to cook, finding everything in the store, and then figuring out how to make it. Therefore we eat alot of the same things. Paul is always encouraging me to try out new recipes. Good luck in this new adventure. I'll try to send some easy yet yummy recipes your way

Rhoda said...

Amen, amen!!! I've never liked it either and stuggle with the same things. I like the idea of picking main ideas for each week night...I might try that! Thanks for sharing the recipie, I'll have to try that!

Angela said...

Thank you for sharing this! I am constantly wondering what I should make for dinner.

Brandy J. said...

You crack me up! In all honesty, I don't love cooking but Dave and I are too cheap to go out more than once a month-ish so I don't have many options. I LOVE the crock pot. It's usually really easy and only requires the clean-up of a few dishes. I even found a recipe for crock pot meatloaf and it's surprisingly delicious. Good luck with your new endeavor.

Kari said...

Well dang girl! Yum! I wish I had some of that deliciousness. Go you on the cooking. I still do make the same things all the time and I'm sure Brigham gets tired of it. Also, I think that's a great idea to have a different theme every night, different things work for different people.

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

This is Tim and I've never ever commented on our blog before. I absolutely love this idea that Ash has done. If you struggle with ideas of what to eat having a different theme everyday really helps. Planning out the menu a week or two in advance also helps. Then there is Pinterest, that has helped a ton too. Ashley is absolutely amazing and the best wife in the WWW (whole wide world)!

Caitlin said...

I love your meal nights. I too don't like cooking very much. I hate the mess that is made and i REALLY hate cleaning it up. The cooking part I guess I don't mind so much...sometimes. Friday cooking is my least favorite.

You're meatloaf looks pretty good...and I don't care much for meatloaf! Maybe I'll have to make it though. Sam thinks it looks way good!

Mark and Kimmi said...

Good job Ash! I like to cook, but I HATE deciding what to cook. So making a list of what meals I can make has completely helped me. This list has the meals I went shopping for as well as quick eats like grilled cheese or chicken nuggets. I like looking at a list rather than rummaging through cabinets!

The Larchars said...

I DO think that is a great idea, and I've been impressed with it ever since you told me. :-) I've never heard of meatloaf with cheese sticks... thanks for sharing!

Tim and Heidi said...

I'm all about my menu list and trying out new things. I like making my list out for about two weeks of dinners and do all the shopping and making what sounds good and What I have time for. Sounds like you found something that works for you too. Meatloak with cheese, I'm not so sure :)