Monday, March 12, 2012

Crafting: Hazardous to Your Health

Okay, so I may not be the most graceful person in the world. To be quite honest, I'm actually rather clutsy and tend to trip all over myself at any given moment causing me to look like a complete idiot in most situations.

But, at least I can laugh at myself :)

That being said...I have to say that a lot of things become more dangerous for me than for most other people. You may remember my post about me falling down the stairs after being tripped by a blind boy's walking stick. Or the other post about me running into an airborne basketball and being knocked spread eagle to the floor. Or the dozens of other posts that actually never got posted because I have to protect at least a minimal portion of my self-esteem.

Anyway...I seem to have this horrible habit of taking my right hand for granted in the sense that I injure my right hand way more often than necessary. For instance, the time I slammed my finger in the door of a porta-potty and had to get the tip of my finger reattached with several stitches. Or the other time that I sliced my hand open on a rusty metal ruler and had to get a tetanus shot and stitches yet again. Or the other time that I dumped an entire cup full of scalding hot Progresso soup on my wrist and gave myself almost 3rd degree burns...not to mention the 5, 6, or 32 times I end up clamping my fingers in with my hair while using my straightener each week. I'm actually quite surprised my right hand hasn't just given up on me and fallen off due to the horrible abuse it undergoes. I wouldn't blame it. I wouldn't stick around on someone's arm if the stupid person attached to me kept causing me grief and pain.

Well, the other night while I was finishing up the felt balls for the lamp shade for the new room...I had a moment of laziness and decided to use my high temperature glue gun instead of my low temperature glue gun that I usually craft with. This was mistake #1.

Mistake #2 was made when I accidentally dropped a tiny bit of hot glue onto a finger nail on my left hand. That hurt.

Mistake #3 was made when I threw the bit of felt that I had just glued into the air after my body registered to the burning sensation coming from my left hand. Sadly, that bit of felt landed on the thumb of my right hand with the hot glue facing toward my skin.

After realizing that I had now burned my left and my right hand, I quickly removed the piece of felt and then tried to figure out how the heck I was going to get the sheer layer of glue off of my thumb.

Mistake #4...thinking the best option would be to just peel it off right then...along with the layer of skin underneath that had already blistered.

I'm so brilliant :)

Here's the aftermath...a few days after the initial incident.


As far as the other obvious injury located just below my thumb...that is another burn that I received earlier that same day while removing our Sunday dinner from the oven.

Mistake #5 is thinking that I'm crafty enough to use a glue gun without bodily injury.

Next time, I'll be wearing gloves :)

6 comments:

Kari said...

I think if you start crafting for other people (namely me) you'll be blessed with no more burning incidents. Just Saying. :)

Caitlin said...

Hahaha! This made me laugh. Your poor thumb. And I think the picture I drew of it looks almost identical to the real thing.

Paul and Tammy said...

OUCH!!! That looks so painful. I can relate to you with being clumsy. Probably the biggest difference is that I am a huge baby and whine about my injuries for days :)Hope you heal quickly

Tim and Heidi said...

Apparently we need to start crafting together again and I'll do the glue :)

John & Britta said...

Ouch! Looks like it hurts! But you are so funny through your pain!

Carrie said...

That looks, so not fun! I'm glad you can laugh at it too, because I'd be milking it for all I could get.