The least known human characteristic on the face of the planet:
Tact.
Definition: Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending
It never ceases to amaze me what some people will say to you when you're pregnant.
For instance...when I was six months pregnant with Emmy I went to a friend's baby shower. While I was there, a girl that I didn't know who was obviously a much thinner person than me even before I was pregnant asked me if all girls get as big as I was at that point in my pregnancy. She then began to inform me that she was going to make sure that she gained as little weight as possible when she expecting...which of course would be after she finished law school, owned a house, and had millions of dollars. Okay, she didn't say the millions of dollars part...but the other parts of the conversation are factual and really did happen.
I had a routine doctors appointment on Wednesday. It didn't end up being so routine though...and four hours later, Tim and I finally left the hospital. While we were waiting for the elevators, an elderly woman joined us and promptly asked me if I was having twins.
What the heck is wrong with people?!
Up until that moment, I had been quite pleased with how I looked. I've gained half of what I gained when I was pregnant with Emmy...so I thought I was doing pretty good. Now I'm wondering if I looked like I was having quadruplets when I was pregnant with Emmy seen as how now I look like I'm having twins.

I've said it before...I'll say it again...
Please, please, please lie to a pregnant woman. Even if she looks like a hippo...tell her she looks radiant. Even if she looks completely miserable...tell her that you've never seen her look more beautiful.
If you have no idea who the heck she is...don't say anything at all!
Never mess with a pregnant woman's hormones. You never know when a situation could suddenly turn dangerous. My advice may very well save your life.
I should know...Tim had to restrain me from punching an elderly woman in the face.
She would have deserved it though.
Just saying. :)








8 comments:
it's SO true. Even teh nurses at the Drs. I gained 8 pounds in one month and the nurse asked incredulously, "What have you been eating?!" I felt horrid! I hate it when people don't have tact, BUT I have to be careful because once I've said that, I'm always the next person to shove my tactless foot into my tactless mouth!
I remember that girl from said shower and I have to tell you she is too busy trying to find a perfect life that she is missing it all together and isn't very happy.
Anyways, I think it's AWESOME you only gained half the weight that you did with Emmy. I'm totally jealous. I'm going to have to ask for tips. You're so close you can make it, just think of all that brain power your baby is getting these last couple of weeks while you look ravishing :)
I didn't know about that girl from the shower. Wow. I hope she blimps up when she is pregnant and is never skinny again. And I hope she fails out of law school. Haha. Ok so maybe that was a little too much...
And you really do look beautiful. Every time I see your cute belly, it makes me want to be pregnant again. Then I have to remind myself that I really hated it.
lol, I get the no tact part all the time, at like 29 weeks I had a lady say "any day now huh?" I was like no... and she said "I'm so sorry you look like you could have it tomorrow". I was a little offended. I have people say "you look puffy" and I get the "twins" thing frequently... seriously... I read an article somewhere that the only three things you should say to a pregnant woman are 1. would you like to sit down, 2. would you like a cookie, and 3. you look great. p.s. I think you look fabulous and I'm probably just gonna drop your present off at your house.btw.
Well, I think you look perfectly beautiful, and just fine! I had a few ladies in the ward ask me if I was having twins with Kameron...and I wasn't even halfway through yet!! Amazing what some people will say to a preggo lady, it's like they feel like nothing is off limits because you're pregnant.
I haven't seen you in awhile but I'm sure you look radiant as always!! It amazes me how many of us can relate. I would still have a few months left in my pregancy and people at church would tell me every week how I looked like I was about ready to pop and they would ask me what I was doing at church...I should be having that baby any day now. There was plenty I would have liked to say to them but luckily I have a great husband to keep me in check :)
I honestly think you are SUPER beautiful! You always know how to look so cute and classy, and I have ALWAYS wished I had your hair and confidence. I am so glad we are friends, cuz I just love you to pieces!!! (and I am anxiously watching for news of your little man) :)
Yes, I don't understand it either. Have they never watched Bambi? "If you can't say something nice, then don't say nothing AT ALL!" You are pregnant and it is wonderful and you are happy, until someone is inconsiderate and has to make a comment. I have had MANY patients this time around ask me when I am due and then refer to my belly as large or huge. I just smile and tell them my due date.
I had one patient ask me how far along I was. I was 34 weeks. She then proceeded to tell me that her daughter was due in one week and I was twice, not just bigger but TWICE, the size as her daughter. I kindly remarked that I carry my babies all out front, which is actually pretty nice because I can breathe and I don't have to pee all the time. I then left the room so as to not say something unkind.
Post a Comment