Do you remember being little, and it would start to snow...and you would pray that it would keep snowing so that the next day school would be cancelled?
Or maybe that's just a Utah thing.
I remember exactly one official snow day in my 13 years of education growing up in Utah.
Just. One.
The snow was deep enough that it covered our trampoline.
And then to make up for the one day of school that we missed...we had to go to school an extra day in June.
Since we've lived in Kentucky, and just since January 1st of this year, there have already been 15 snow days. FIFTEEN!!!
And when it snows here...everything, and I mean EVERYTHING shuts down. Just two weeks ago, we had a very small, very insignificant storm roll through. I think we maybe got a 1/4 of an inch. The roads were lightly dusted. Nothing terrible. I needed to go to the Dollar Store to pick up one or two things for a baby shower that I was throwing. It was 6:30 pm. No one was on the roads. It was like a ghost town.
Our Dollar Tree is inside our "mall". Yes...we have a "mall". You should come and visit just so you can go inside of our "mall". Reason enough right there. Book your flight right now.
Anyway, I pulled up, into an empty parking lot...hopped out of my car...walked into the mall...and every single store was closed. Except for JCPenney. However, they were counting down their machines getting ready to close their doors. All because of a light dusting of snow.
They'll even call off school if they think it's going to snow. There doesn't even have to be a cloud in the sky. In fact, most of those 15 days have amounted to no snow at all...and if there is snow...it's only an inch. Maybe two.
However...we got a storm in last night that made me smile. It made me happy. It made me think of my beloved Utah. Tim came home early yesterday because they cancelled the rest of his classes for the day even though it hadn't started snowing yet. Then he found out they were going to cancel all of the classes for today as well, and he could stream them at home. It started to flurry last night around seven. By the time we went to bed several hours later, we had an inch.
This morning, when I woke up...there was 7 inches.
Seven!!
That's unheard of around here.
In fact, this winter has been one of the worst winters they've ever had in these parts.
I love it :)
Right now, the sun is shining, the snow is melting quickly...and by tomorrow...we probably won't have anything significant to show for our grand snow storm last night.
But...I'll bet you a batch of chocolate chip cookies that school will be cancelled tomorrow as well.
Make it snow day number 16.










1 comment:
That's how it is here too. One inch of snow, church/school/work is all canceled. In defense, the roads do get really dangerous because it melts fast and turns to ice. Last time it barely snowed it took my brother 40 minutes to go one mile because everyone was sliding all over the place.
However, I still love snow days to this day. It's exciting! I wish I could have been there to make cookies with you on snow days together :) I miss snow too!
Post a Comment