There's an old Tongan lady that lives in our ward. Her name is Toa. I've known her my entire life. She taught me in nursery when I was little, and I can still remember how much I loved her then. As I grew up, she would always tell me about what I was like when I was little, and I've always thought of her as a grandma. I love watching her in church with the little kids because of her sweetness with them. She is a very tender woman. I just wanted to introduce her to you before I told you the story about what happened today right before sacrament meeting started.
Tim and I were sitting in our seats when Toa walked into the chapel. As she started to make her way onto the bench in front of us, she looked up at me and smiled...and then her face lit up as she pointed at my belly and said with so much excitement in her voice "You're fat!". She waved me over to her, pulled me into her arms, and whispered to me with tears in her eyes, "I like you fat." It may surprise you to know that this touched my heart, and made me even more grateful to know this incredible lady. With all the sweetness in the world, and in her beautiful broken english, Toa told me how excited she was that I'm going to be a mother.
It made me think that amidst all the heartburn, constipation, numerous nightly bathroom breaks, stretch marks, and all the other wonderful things we women put our bodies through during pregnancy how truely grateful I am to be experiencing this in my life. It's okay that my belly is now three times the size it use to be, and I can barely tie my shoes anymore. I love this baby inside of me more than I thought was possible. I haven't even met her yet, and she already has such a strong hold upon my heart that it amazes me. It's hard to believe that in a little over ten weeks, I will be holding her in my arms, and meeting my daughter for the very first time. So...with that in mind...telling me that I'm fat is probably one of the biggest compliments you can give me right now. I have a baby inside. :)








11 comments:
If you think you love her now, wait til she's actually here. It really is amazing how much you can love someone so instantly! I'm so happy for you guys. Being a parent is the most rewarding thing I've experienced.
Oh Ash that was so tender!! This little girl is so lucky to have you guys as parents.
Oh Ash I am so so excited to meet her too!! What a sweet post! Love you-Carrie
I ditto what Ryan and Carli said. You will love her even more when you meet her and even more when you get to know her, and even MORE when she can start talking back;) I love being a mom and you are going to be an amazing one!
Ahhh- that was a cute post! I can totally picture you saying this with a big smile, half laughing, half crying. Very tender! Sooo excited for this little one! :-)
Love this post! I can just picture her saying that to you!! What an amazing experience huh? It's amazing what the body can go through and how much you learn to love it when you're pregnant!
oh i love her! yea if you think you love her NOW! ha ha ha you just wait!!! Wait till she's about 5 or 6 and she writes you a note telling you how much she loves you and that you are her most favorite person in the world! OR wait till she has someone be mean to her at school and then your heart breaks for her and you will REALLY know what LOVE IS! YOU HAVE NO IDEA YET!
This is the cutest thing EVER! What a tender lady! She sounds so sweet and fun! I'm so happy for you and your sweet baby girl! I want to meet her when she arrives :) that's a true must!! We really need to hangout.. like really we love each other and Jake and Tim would totally get along I just know it Ash I do I just know it!
Cute! I had a polynesian client that did the same thing to me. That word is never offensive in their language (or at least that's what it seems like to me)
I'm so excited for you! You are a very beautiful prego lady!!
Such a cute post! I'm so excited for you! Being a mom is lots of fun, and the love the you feel will only grow stronger. I still look at my kids and I can hardly believe they are mine.
Post a Comment