Friday, July 2, 2010

An Event 22 Years In The Making...

When I was little...I wanted to be a veterinarian. I remember pretending to take care of my "sick" stuffed animals. Still to this day I have a soft spot for our four legged furry friends. When I watch movies...I'm fine if a bus full of people die...but if a poor helpless puppy is in any type of danger...pull out the Kleenex because I can assure you that I'm bawling my eyes out. However...by the time I reached high school...I realized that my ambition to become the world's best animal doctor was probably not ever going to happen. Most likely due to the unfortunate fact that I am horrible with any type of subject having to do with math or science. So...I changed my mind and decided that I was more interested in being a teacher. After I graduated high school...I focused my efforts on getting things in order to get my degree. All of that changed when I started working for a man named Dr. Kenneth King. A dentist...who in fact...inspired me to become a dental hygienist.

So...for the last six years of my life, I've worked towards that goal. Two years of prerequisites...two years of wishing, hoping, and waiting...and two incredibly hard and stressful years in a program that was probably the most difficult thing I've ever put myself through. Finally, after 1000 clinic hours, 18 classes, countless patients, lots and lots of money, 72 pimples, 16 gallons of tears, 10 pairs of scrubs, hours upon hours of studying, at least 18 textbooks, 14 instructors, 83 tests, and one baby later...I GRADUATED! I'm a Registered Dental Hygienist...and darn proud of it too!





I'm the one sitting down :). After standing for three hours...and being nine months pregnant...I needed to rest my feet. It was pure torture! Seriously...whoever came up with the idea of making a graduate wait and listen to people that they don't know or even care about for two hours needs to get their priorities straight! All we want is our flipping diploma! Just give it to us and let us move on! However...I finally got my diploma...in the mail...a MONTH later! Stupid two hour graduation ceremony that ended up in me getting an EMPTY diploma holder! REALLY, really LAME!


My baby belly :)

I do have to say...as I said on many occasions before...I have the most amazing husband. I never could have done the program without him. He was supportive and wonderful through the entire two years with everything I needed him to do...including coming into the clinic for a lot of really long appointments...even though he REALLY hates going to the dentist.

Thank you to all of my friends and family who encouraged me over the last two years. I couldn't have done it without you and sincerely hope you know how much you mean to me. Remember...if you ever need your teeth cleaned...you have a friend in the teeth business!

5 comments:

jake.shalise said...

Dear Ashley-

I'm so proud of you! I'm actually really jealous i wish I could say ive found and graduated in something! That's beyond awesome! To me it flew by seems like just a month ago you left to start school! Your amazing I knew you could do it.. And pregnant thats even more awesome! Love the pictures your darling!

Your just like me I have such a soft spot for little pups its kinda sad I think little May is like a child I treat her like one too ha ha ha! Love you big!!! :)

Carrie said...

congrats! What an ordeal. It's amazing what we do to reach our goals. It's a good thing though, to learn endurance and faith. Emery is such a cutie! Thanks for letting me hog her all evening.

Angela said...

Yay congrats! Love the prego pics! When am I going to meet your cute baby girl?

Allyson said...

you do know that dad is giving you bunny ears in that picture!!! ha ha good ole dad

Lizz said...

Congratulations!!!!! That is completely awesome!!! (Especially that you got it done before you had a baby, cuz after that...much, much harder.)