Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Boy Who Was 9...

When I was growing up, I always wished I had a little brother. but no matter how much I begged and pleaded, I remained the youngest in my family. So...when I first started dating Tim, I was totally drawn to the fact that he was lucky enough to have not one younger brother...but three! Considering the fact that we started dating our senior year of high school, I have pretty much watched all three of them grow up and become incredible men. I love all three of them very much, and consider them my brothers. But...I have a very special place in my heart for the youngest Tappana, Jake.

The very first time I met Jake, he was 9. He was little and freckled with bed head hair and in a pair of little boy boxers. He was so embarrassed by my presence and his lack of clothes that he raced up the stairs and locked himself in his bedroom. I was smitten by how adorable he was. He was Tim's shadow and wanted to be exactly like his big brothers. He has Tim's interest in sports, Brig's musical abilities, and Sam's interest in anything from bands to clothing. He is the perfect mixture of his older brothers...and can pretty much get me to do anything for him.

When Tim was on his mission, Jake became my little bodyguard. He would call me on the weekends to see if we could hang out. When my friends would go out, he would be my date. I've watched him go from elementary to high school graduation. He was about 4 feet tall when I met him, and now he's almost 6 foot, has sideburns, and has to shave. He has big feet too.

I was there when he got his mission call. I was there when he went through the temple. I was there when he was set apart as a missionary and bore his testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know he's going to be an incredible missionary. He has his older brothers in him...and they turned out pretty fantastic if I do say so myself.

This morning as I hugged him goodbye for the last time for two years, I told him I loved him, that I was proud of him, and that I knew what he was doing was so important. I'm grateful for his excitement and willingness to spread the gospel that I love so much. I'm gonna miss him. He's my little brother. But, he'll still be my little brother when he gets back. He'll just be a little bit older, most likely bigger, and definitely a little bit better.


ElderJacob Scott Tappana
Canada, Toronto East mission

Yes, I am a little bit proud :)

6 comments:

Jill said...

Awwwww, cute!! I remember seeing Jake for the first time and thinking he was the cutest little boy!! He's going to be a great missionary!

Carrie said...

So fun! It's awesome when you get along with your in-laws! I'm glad you have that special relationship with a "little brother". Those are so dear. Enjoy the blessings of having a missionary out. He'll be great.

jake.shalise said...

That was the cutest post brought a tear to my eye! That's so fun that you and Tim have been together for so long and you've watched him grow up that's so special. Sounds like he'll be a great missionary.

-And um we still need to rescheudle our hangout!!

Paul and Tammy said...

I too have always wanted a younger sibling but never got one. I'm glad I have Mikey around to joke and tease just like I would a little sibling. He's of course a lot bigger than me but I've adopted him as my little bro and I love it!! That's awesome that you guys have become so close

Anonymous said...

Great post! It choked me up a little bit!!

Stacy said...

Awwww!!!! I love this post!! Cute Jake!