Tuesday, February 8, 2011

28 Years Ago Today, the World Became Awesome. You're Welcome :)

Who'd have ever thought that this little beauty...


would turn into this...

The top picture is of me at the age of seven, when life was entirely about recess, barbies, and my amazing imagination.

Now...at the age of 28, I can look back on those times and smile because I had such a wonderful childhood. Back then, I looked forward to my birthdays. I couldn't wait to grow up. Get bigger. Drive a car. Have a boyfriend.

I don't quite remember getting bigger. It seems to have happened over night. But, there are certain events that stick out in my mind over the last 28 years that have changed me. Helped me to become the person that I am today. Events that I will forever be grateful for because, as I look back, they are the happiest moments of my life. In honor of turning 28, here they are (and in no particular order)...

1. Being baptized

I don't remember much about being baptized. This fact, at times, makes me kind of sad. I hear other people talk about their baptisms and how much they remember from that day, and I wish that I could recall it as well as they have been able to do. What I do remember is my blue dress my Mom made for the occasion. The picture of Christ my neighbors, the Nielsens, gave to me. My very own set of scriptures engraved with my name on the front of them. My friend, Erica, who was baptized the same day. But, the most important thing I remember, is knowing, even at the young age of 8, that what I was doing was making my Heavenly Father, and Savior happy. I knew it was right, and I was excited.

2. The 3 months before Tim got home from his mission

If you know me well, you might be surprised that I'm including those few months. This was not an easy or particularly happy time in my life. But, the reason I have included it, is because during this small moment in my life, I gained an incredible relationship with my Heavenly Father. I relied on him more than I had ever done before in my life. I wanted to do what he wanted me to do more than anything else. I gained a knowledge that my Heavenly Father is very aware of me. He knows me. He wants me to be happy. I will forever be grateful for those few short months. I truly came to know who I am.

3. My trip to Hawaii

When I was 19, my good friend Missy and I went on a week long vacation to the beautiful island of Oahu. It was just the two of us. We had never been that far away from home...especially without adult supervision. That week was incredible. I remember walking down to the beach every night at sunset. We would go and get ice cream from Coldstone, walk out onto the sand and watch the waves roll in and the sun slowly descend until we were surrounded by darkness and the sound of the ocean. I was so happy to be sitting there with her, laughing and talking about nothing in particular. It was one of the best weeks of my life. I will never forget it.

4. The very first time I saw Tim after he got home from Japan

I don't even know that he knew at the time that it was my car pulling out of the street as he was walking down the sidewalk to my house. But, as I saw him, a flood of memories came back to me. I loved him...and in those few seconds that passed by, I knew, with absolute certainty that I was supposed to marry him. He was mine, and I was his and I was entirely content knowing that we would be together forever, and I wanted that more than anything.

5. Graduation

When I talk about graduation, I'm not talking about High School. I'm talking about the big event. A day 22 years in the making. The day that I was forever done with school. The day I graduated from Dental Hygiene. I cannot begin to express the absolute joy that comes with graduating from college. There is no other feeling like it. It is such a sense of accomplishment. It was, quite possibly, one of the best days of my life.

6. The day I went to the temple

One of my most favorite primary songs is "I Love to See The Temple". I remember singing it as a little girl and imagining the day that I would finally be able to go inside. A week before Tim and I were married, I entered the Bountiful temple and made sacred promises with my Heavenly Father. I remember being in the locker room changing out of my temple clothing and feeling an overwhelming sense of love. This was a moment that I had been looking forward to my entire life. It was one of those moments that you don't ever think will come because you want it to so badly. I was incredibly happy.

7. Tim's and my first kiss

I won't lie. I've kissed a LOT of boys. Many were just for fun, some were kind of gross, and a couple were mistakes. But...none of them can even come close to the first time that Tim kissed me. We had been dating for almost three months. I had NEVER dated anyone that long without kissing them. But, Tim was shy, I was his first girlfriend, and he hadn't ever kissed a girl before. For our choir class, we went on tour to Anaheim, California. We were lucky enough to spend two days in Disneyland. Now...prepare yourself for compete sappiness. We were in high school after all :). On our last night there, Tim and I wandered over the the Disney castle. We made wishes into the mote around the castle, and then made our way onto the bridge that leads to Fantasyland. I asked him what he had wished for, and he said "I wished that I could kiss you"...so, I looked at him and said "of coarse you can kiss me". Well...instead of leaning forward, he just sat there. Staring at me. For five minutes. Wow. Awkward. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, he gave me a quick, shy, but perfect first kiss. It was very sweet. Very cheesy, and incredibly romantic. Especially for an 18 year old girl.

8. Our honeymoon to Disneyland

There is nothing better than going to the happiest place on earth after experiencing the happiest day of your life, and spending all day, everyday, with your best friend. Our honeymoon was perfect. It might be why Tim and I go back to Disneyland so often. We have fantastic memories there. Plus, it's impossible to be in Disneyland, surrounded by magic, and not be incredibly happy.

9. The day I became a Mommy

I had absolutely no idea how much I would love being a Mommy. I know I've said it before, but Emmy is the joy of our life. The moment I found out I was pregnant, I was smitten with the little bean inside of me. When I could finally feel her squirm around in my belly, I felt a connection with this child that I hadn't even met yet, and would already do anything to keep her safe. When the nurses placed her into my arms, I knew that I would never, ever be the same. Each day, it still amazes me that Tim and I created this beautiful little baby girl. She is mine. No matter what. That's a great feeling.

10. The day I became Mrs. Timothy Tappana

There are few days that I can think back on and remember being completely, entirely, blissfully happy. The day I was married tops them all. I married the person that completes me. The person that makes me happier than anyone else in the world. The person that I look forward to being with more than anything. I married a man that makes me want to be a better person. A man that still looks at me as though I'm the most beautiful thing he's ever laid eyes on. A man who honors me, cherishes me, adores me, and still, almost 6 years later, makes me laugh every single day. Knowing that, you can see why the day I became Mrs. Timothy Tappana was, I can say, the best day of my life. It was beautifully, wonderfully, amazingly perfect.

Life is good. Even if I'm a year older :)

7 comments:

Missy said...

Happy Birthday my friend. I'm so glad I made your list. I think a lot about our trip to an I will never forget it. We had so much fun and I'm so glad it was just the two of us. You have had a very blessed and wonderful life. Heavenly Father certainly loves you and loves your mom and dad to let them have you 28 years ago. I'm so glad I know you. I hope your day is great! Maybe we need to tentatively plan another Hawaiian getaway in the future.

Carrie said...

Happy birthday! I'm glad you have such wonderful memories! I'll never forget the time you asked me if it was okay if you dated Tim. I think I had gone on one date with him, and never thought of him as more than a good friend. I was a little puzzled as to why you thought I'd be hurt by it, but you were such a good friend and always considerate. Have a Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Great post!!! I love it!! And Happy Birthday again!!

Jill said...

Happy Birthday! What a great post...loved them all, especially the super cheesy first kiss!! And, the only thing I remember about my baptism was my wet ponytail braid, and my chicken legs sticking out of the suit. Such fun!!

jake.shalise said...

I loved this post, so stinkin cute! Your adorable as ever. I love reading about your first kiss and becoming a mom and graduating, your life basically does rocks! You've done some amazing things I think your life will only get better :)

And yes, thank you for being born!

Paul and Tammy said...

We are the luckiest people in the world to have you as a friend!! You really are a wonderful person and we hope you had the best birthday ever!

Angela said...

Ah I love your posts! This one is def top three! Thanks for sharing such sweet memories! I called Kayla my bean too.