For just a minute...I'm gonna take you back five years.
Tim and I were in a ward in Sugarhouse. One Sunday, a member of the bishopric asked to meet with us after church. Upon sitting down in the little office, I was asked to fill the position of Primary Chorister.
My answer..."No."
Tim's response..."She doesn't really mean that."
My response to Tim's ridiculousness..."Yes, I do."
In the end, Tim accepted my calling for me. Did I have a bad attitude? Yes, yes I did.
Now, flash forward to current happenings. I've served in the Young Women's for the past four years in two different wards. I was just recently released...and extended a new calling. Can you guess what it is? Two words...Primary Chorister. I said no again. Tim told them I would be wonderful. I'm still not speaking to him.
I know some of you are thinking that being the Primary Chorister would completely rock...I however think that it is one of the hardest callings in the church. I can say that because I've done it before. I also thought that I would never have to do it again. Obviously, I was misinformed.
I realize that I still have a bad attitude. I'm working on it.
Each week I walk into Primary with a big smile on my face and try to make singing time super fun. The little kids love me. The older kids roll their eyes to make it quite clear they aren't impressed. It's kinda funny how that hurts my feelings. They're 10 years old. I guess it's because I put so much effort into it that I want them to get excited. It's a work in progress. I'll win their hearts one of these weeks...or...I'll bribe them with candy. That always seems to do the trick.
I also have the responsibility of going into the nursery each week to sing songs with the really little kids. They usually don't sing with me...but they also don't cry which is good sign.
Last week, as I was getting ready to go, one of the nursery leaders told the kids to give me a hug. Excitedly, one little boy ran to my side and gave me a great big hug. He also tried to give me a kiss. I dodged it. But he really, really wanted to give me a kiss, so he threw his arms around my neck and tried again. I successfully dodged it another three times. However...as I was trying to escape the grasp of this three year old little boy...another little boy ran right up to my face, smiled big at me...and then...to my complete surprise, he licked me on the nose.
I guess it could have been worse.
He could have peed on me.








11 comments:
I bet you are the "Worlds Best" primary teacher. Just ignore the 10 year olds. They just think they are so cool. I'm sure candy would help that! It always helps me! :)
Ashley I'm pretty sure you will be asked to be Primary chorister many many more times in the future. and Tim will accept the calling for you many many more times. You're only 28 for heavens sake! you've got 50 more years of eligibility for that kind of calling. Get used to it. If you really want to know the trick? in your next ward don't let anyone know that your musical. No more playing the piano for any meeting and especially no more singing in sacrament meeting. That's the kiss of death. If you can't follow those rules well then I'm sorry but it's your own damn fault you keep getting called.
P.S. Where the Hell are our cupcakes you promised!
P.P.S. Do you like that I found a way to swear twice in this post? I'm so glad I went to Australia on my mission where I can now say such things. Poor Tim had to go to a country that doesn't even HAVE swearwords. he's missing out on so much fun.
lol, you are so funny! I thought you were awesome as Primary Chorister in our ward and I know the kids adored you. I was sad when you moved.
I was laughing when I read your blog and now I'm really laughing after reading Mark's comment.
I was once casually asked by a member of the bishopric what I thought about being the primary chorister. I laughed. He never officially extended the call (thank goodness!).
My advice: have Tim stay home with the baby next time you're meeting with the bishopric.
that's quite the story. I agree with you on the older kids. What can we do to get through to them. Last week i did a game I thought they'd love because it was a spin-off of an previous game they seemed to enjoy. When I asked them, they said they hated that previous game... could have fooled me and ALL the other leaders.
Luckily I don't do the music in nursery. There is an awesome lady who goes in there with her guitar and blows them away! So hopefully I'll never get licked ;)
Good luck. I'll try to send you ideas that have worked for me. please do the same.
Awesome! Which one of the boys was mine?? If he licked you, I promise he's healthy! I sympathize...I wasn't the chorister, but the pianist for years in Primary, and it's definitely a hard calling! Anything in primary is...If it were me, I'd buy stock in hershey's and keep the candy rolling!! Keep your head up though, you'll do great!!
Hahahahaha! Oh that's funny. I can't believe you didn't tell me that story already!
And I have just as bad of an attitude about Primary as you do. I just pretend I don't so that it will hopefully become a reality.
Kids never appreciate what adults do for them until they grow up and are tortured with it themselves, so all those kids will get what's coming to them :)
I admire your hard work because I think it's of of the hardest callings too.
I completely understand where you are coming from. I've had to substitute a couple of times and I went in there thinking it was going to be a piece of cake. NOPE!!! Those kids can be so intimidating and exhausting as ever to keep them entertained. The Bishop must think very highly of you to give you such a difficult calling. I know you'll be great!!
Thanks for making me laugh Ashley! I am the mother of a child in nursery and yet I still can't believe that little boy licked you!
I'm glad that your attitude is getting better! I also hope the kids liked the flower idea!
She sounds so CUTE!! After hearing how much you love it I can't wait to be a mom!!!
Post a Comment