Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Memory Moment of the Week

A week ago, we were without water.

Being without water sucks. 

Big time.

I never realized exactly how often I rely on running water until we had our water turned off due to a break in our water line.  There were countless times I went to the sink and turned on the faucet, or used the bathroom and desperately wanted to flush the toilet because I'm one of those people who has to flush every. single. time. 

Do you have any idea how disgusting a toilet is after it's been used all day...and not been flushed?
Too much info?  Just know this...it was rough.

I'm extremely grateful that we were only without water for 36 hours, and not days, or weeks.  
I seriously NEVER could have been a pioneer.  

Anyway, when the water company first turned off our water Sunday afternoon, we called our landlord and let him know the situation.  Luckily, he was at our house and had a guy with him to check things out all within a couple hours.  When they restored our 125 year old house, they didn't replace one old pipe.  So, they were pretty sure, right off the bat, that they knew where the leak was, and they found it really quickly.  But, it was dark by the time they dug down far enough to find it, and needed to hold off until the next day when there was enough light to begin replacing it.  During this whole process, our landlord had said that he would turn on the water so I could bathe Jack and Emmy...only seconds after I had placed my two naked children in the tub...they had to hurry and turn it off again because the hole they were digging filled up with water way too quickly.  So, here they were...naked and in about 1/2 an inch of water...if that.  But try as I might, I could not get them out of the tub.  So, they played...quite happily...for close to an hour, until the water had completely drained from the tub because our plug is faulty and water slowly seeped into the drain. Might I add that 1/2 an inch of water in a cold porcelain tub doesn't stay warm for very long either?  So, within a matter of minutes, the water was freezing.  I'm such a good mom.

I got some really cute pictures though :) 





I'm pretty sure Jack had hypothermia by the time he let me drag his shivering body out of the tub, kicking and screaming.  Not that there was even any water left...but the kid was having a blast. 

After ripping our deck apart, and going on 2 days without water, we finally were able to turn the faucet on and delight in the glorious, cold, refreshing liquid that came pouring out.

Did I mention that I could NEVER have been a pioneer.
I would have died.
Just. Like. That.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not having water is seriously so horrible!! You said only 36 hours??? I praise you for your positive attitude. 36 hours would have seemed like a lifetime to me ;) By the way, Emmy looks EXACTLY like you in that picture. You have taught her well how to properly pose for the camera

Caitlin said...

I can't even imagine going without water for 2 whole days!! Those pictures of your kids are adorable. I especially love Jacks face in the first one! And that last one of Emmy? She is definitely your daughter! So cute!

Kari said...

The things kids love always surprise me. But I'm not surprised by how cute these pictures are. I love them.