Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Most Beautiful Thing We've Ever Made...

Labor is a funny thing. Until you actually experience it...nothing anyone says to you ever makes you feel better about the whole thing. I had my regular weekly appointment on Monday, the 24th...also Emery's due date. I had no expectations. My last couple appointments I was exactly the same. Barely dilated to a one. Plus...I had been on bed rest for about two weeks which wasn't exactly helping my situation move along. So, when Dr. Barton came in and checked me out, Tim and I weren't expecting him to tell us to head down to labor and delivery. He said he just didn't see any reason to keep me pregnant any longer. We looked at each other in total shock. By 6:30, I was hooked up to all the machines and had pitocin flowing through my veins. My contractions started about 20 minutes later...but thankfully Dr. Barton had told the nurse to have me get my epidural as soon as possible. Everything was going fantastically...until the epidural wore off in a very important region :). So, the nurse had me get another dose of the anesthesia. An hour after that...it had worn off again. I was numb in my belly and my legs...but not the other place of importance. The anesthesiologist came in for a third time...gave me a third dose...and yet again...an hour later I was feeling it. By then though, it was time for me to start pushing. Now...this was the part of labor that I had imagined entirely different! I was completely exhausted. It was 5 am, and I hadn't slept at all from the time they started me until then. I didn't realize that pushing meant I would be using every ounce of energy and strength my body had. After an hour...I was in tears. I could feel everything because the epidural was gone. After two hours...I just couldn't do it anymore. Tim was absolutely wonderful and encouraging and supportive...and yet everytime he said anything...I would get so mad.

Finally, Dr. Barton came in the room. At that point, I knew I was close to finally having my baby. It gave me the extra strength to push about six or seven more times...and then I heard the most beautiful sound in the world. My sweet baby that had grown in my tummy for the last ten months was finally crying. My sweet baby that I had felt kicking and squirming around inside of me was kicking and squirming in my arms. I was finally meeting my daughter. Emery Elizabeth Tappana was born at 7:16 am May 25th 2010 weighing a hefty 8 pounds 8 ounces and measuring in at 19 inches long.

First comes love...then comes marriage...then comes a baby in a baby carriage!

Exhausted...but entirely and completely happy Mommy

Extremely proud Daddy


The most beautiful baby girl in the world. Of coarse...I am her Mommy...so I am a little biased :).

18 comments:

Angela said...

Congrats! What a gorgeous girl! Sorry your epidural didn't last that's truly a bummer! At least you got a super cute baby girl out of it!

The Adventurous Spencer said...

She's gorgeous!! Congrats on everything, even though the epidural wore off, I'm so glad it went well! I can't wait to see more pix, and see how you guys are doing!

Carrie said...

She is so beautiful! I'm so sorry about the epidural not being the most wonderful thing. I think you can officially say you had her naturally and get all the kudos that come with that. Enjoy your precious angel. They grow up too fast.

John & Britta said...

She is beautiful! I hope she's letting you get some sleep.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! She is SO beautiful! You guys will be amazing parents. Little Emery is one lucky girl!!

Anonymous said...

She is a very precious baby girl!!

Brigham said...

I'm so happy for you guys! Emery is just adorable and I'm excited to see her again! Being parents is the best!

Paul and Tammy said...

She is absolutely beautiful!! Congratulations. We can't wait to meet her in person. And look at all that hair. Love it!!!

Stacy said...

Yay! I am SO extremely happy for you guys!! I can't wait to meet little Emery!

lacieinthesky said...

She is georgous Ashley, congratulations!

The Larchars said...

Ok, hands down, she IS the cutest newborn I've ever seen. You pushed her out with the epidural worn off? WOW! Way to go tough mama!!! That is crazy you had to be medicated so often. Hope you are recovering well. LOVE the pics!!!

Brandon and Julie said...

She is such a doll, I love her face. Sorry to hear about the epidural, but hey now you can saw you went natural.

Lizz said...

Yay!!! She is gorgeous! Text me when you are up for visitors!

Tim and Heidi said...

Just love her to pieces already! She is the cutest little thing around!

Lynnell said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations you two! Being a mommy and daddy justs adds to your relationship and family- so happy for you!

Amber said...

Congrats! She is beautiful and you both look so happy! I am so happy for all of you!

jake.shalise said...

She's beautiful!!! I love all that dark hair! You rock I'd say you had a baby natural! I hope your recovering very well! I really want to come visit and meet baby Emery!! Let me know when your okay to have people over and I'll be there! She's adorable congrats on making such a doll!! :)

Stephanie G. said...

She's adorable! We can't wait to meet her. I know our little ones will be the best of friends. Enjoy every minute, they get big fast and take all the naps you can, with or without a shower :)