Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Surgery 101

Some of you may remember this post...about Emmy's big red thing on her left ear.  

Well...a few months ago, we went to see Emmy's doctor for another follow-up a year after being taken off of Propanolol...the medication that made the big red thing shrink up to a little red thing that was still there but not nearly as noticeable.  Because the big red thing (also known as a hemangioma) got so big so fast, there was some excess tissue left over after it had shrunk in size.  Dr. Grimmer let us know that there hadn't been anymore changes over the past year, and he didn't expect there to be anymore either.  The tissue that was remaining would be there the rest of Emmy's life, unless we opted to do a surgery to remove it.  

We opted to have the surgery.  

That may seem extreme to some of you, especially since it was an optional surgery.
The reason we chose to do it is because we did not want there to be any reason in Emmy's life for her to be made fun of when we could have prevented it.  I know how mean little kids can be.  I remember being made fun of in elementary school for the littlest things.  Looking back now, I think it was all rather silly.  But as a child, it was the biggest thing in the entire world.  

Yesterday was Emmy's big day.
She was so brave.  

I...however...was not so brave.
But I pretended I was for Emmy.


She loved her jammies that she got to wear!  
Especially the socks :)


One of the nurses told us that Emmy was the best patient she had ever had.  
I'm sure she says that to everyone...but it still made me so proud of her!
She really was pretty much amazing.
She gets that from me :)
(hahaha)



Home was filled with popsicles, princess movies, and stickers.

Oh...and as for the "hat" as Emmy calls it...she only has to wear it until a little bit later today.
She stopped fighting us to wear it after Tim told her that the "air bugs" would get her if she didn't.
I'm a bit worried she's not going to let me take it off now.  
She's already mentioned the "bugs" on several occasions since she woke up.
Thanks for that Daddy.  
Best. Idea. Ever.

6 comments:

Jill said...

What a brave girl! I would have done it too, they have will have enough to worry about, so why make it one more thing??

Caitlin said...

What a trooper! I'm so glad it went so well.

And it's pretty funny about the airbugs....hopefully she lets you take it off!! Hahaha. Oh Tim!

Paul and Tammy said...

So brave with smiles and all. I would have done the surgery too. I worry about the same things for our kiddos :) Good luck with getting the "ear hat" off.

Tim and Heidi said...

I would have opted to do the surgery as well, kids are pretty mean these days, but no one could ever be mean to cute little Emmy! It also helps you reached your deductable this year, I'm a lot jealous of that! I'm so glad she was brave and everything went well! Give her a love from me :)

Kari said...

She looks so cute and little in her hospital outfit on the bed! I'm glad everything went well and that she's recovering so nicely :)

Britta Hughes said...

She's so cute in her hospital pj's! I worry about kids and teasing for my kids too.