Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Farewell 2012

I'm not going to lie to any of you.

2012 was quite possibly the worst year ever for this little Tappana family, and I'm quite happy to wish 2012 good riddance, and move on.

While we did have many things to be thankful for such as our handsome little Jack joining our family...for the most part, 2012 was pretty rotten.  So...in honor of moving forward, and letting go of last year, here's our annual post of our monthly events.  

{January}

We got rid of Emmy's beloved binky!
Tim and I were able to go to the Jazz vs. King's game...which was awesome due to the fact that more people cheered for BYU's very own Jimmer Freddette than their Utah Jazz players.  It rocked.
Tim caught one of the winning balls thrown randomly into the arena seats at the Jazz game.  His prize included an exclusive interview with all the Jazz players after the game as well as lifetime season tickets to all games.  Sadly, a guy next to him, tackled him to the floor, twisted his arm and stole the prize ball from Tim's grasp.  They caught the whole thing on the Jumbotron, and still let the creep get away with it.  As a consolation, they gave Tim a jersey for Andre Kirlenko...which I promply burned when we got home.

{February}

I turned 29.  It was a sad, sad day.
We were able to attend a concert put on by the BYU Young Ambassadors.  It was awesome.
My brother and his wife Carrie welcomed a new baby girl into the Brigman family.
While touring a historic house downtown, Tim and I discovered a secret tunnel that led to a cave where a pirate ship had been marooned hundreds of years ago.  After being chased by a family of crooks, we were rescued on a beach by our families.  The strange part?  When has Utah ever had a beach that leads out the ocean?  We're still trying to figure that one out. 

{March}

Jackson Rollans joined our family.
Emmy became a big sister.
We became a family of four.
At the hospital, they accidentally mixed up babies and brought us the wrong one.  I first became aware when the baby they brought was a girl and of a different nationality.  The nurses argued with me and told me to be happy with what I had, and then handed Tim a paternity pamphlet.  Luckily, the hispanic family down the hall was having problems with the white baby boy that was brought to them...so we swapped.  We're fairly certain Jack is the original baby I gave birth too.

{April}

We found out medical school was a no-go yet again this year.  That sucked.
After another unsuccessful attempt at medical school, Tim thought he would try his hand at modeling.  He had several amazing photo shoots with Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, and Target.  Look for him in the upcoming Hanes commercials...and don't be jealous he's not your husband :)

{May}

We were able to go to Las Vegas for a few days to be part of Hannah's blessing day.
Emmy turned two!
Tim planted his garden.
ARUP had their annual work party at the Hogle Zoo.  Best zoo trip ever!
I was petitioned by a polygamist family to become a sister wife.  Of course I declined, but I thought they looked familiar.  It wasn't until watching an episode of Sister Wives that I realized where I had recognized them from.  If I had said yes...I'd be Kody Brown's wife #5!

{June}

Tim blessed Jack the first fast Sunday in June.
My sister's kids joined us for most of their summer vacation.
Tim and I celebrated our 7th anniversary.
Tim's grandmother Ina passed away leaving behind quite a legacy to follow.
Tim and I went white water river rafting.  Although...it was more like calm drifting down Provo river.
As an anniversary gift to show how much he loves me...Tim bought a plot of land next to the U on the side of the mountain and built a gigantic A, which of course stands for Ashley, as well as amazing, adorable, awesome, astounding, you get the point.  If you haven't seen it yet, plan a hike to it in the spring.  It's quite incredible.  He hauled 100,000 pounds of cement mix all the way to the top by himself, painted it red to represent his love, and then lined it with  7,891 white twinkling lights.


{July}

We hiked Silver Lake as a family.
Tim and I were able to attend Wicked at the Capitol Theatre for the second time.  It was incredible!
We spent hours swimming at the Murray pool and going to the water park at the Classic Fun Center.  Emmy got tan.  I got burned.  Lucky girl got her Daddy's skin.
We went fishing at Utah Lake and witnessed a creature similar to the Lochness Monster swimming near the middle of the lake.  Upon further inspection, the creature capsized our boat, throwing Tim and I into the water with it.  After wrestling it in the water for hours, Tim succeeded in saving our lives from certain death.  The creature has since been stuffed and is hanging above our fireplace as a trophy.  Tim was also interviewed on the news for his bravery.  

{August}

Emmy had surgery on her ear and proved to us just how brave she is.
My sister's kids went back home after a fun filled summer vacation.
Tim started applying to medical school again, proving that not anyone on earth wants to be a doctor more than him.
While on an airplane trip from Australia to Los Angeles, we crashed, leaving us stranded on an island with several other survivors.  The island seemed to be deserted, until several people were taken from our camp by a mysterious group of people we began to call "the others".  We soon discovered this island was not just a regular island that people get stranded on when their plane crashes...but it was an island with magical powers.  Luckily for us, we were rescued by a freightliner just before the island vanished into thin air.  However, Tim has been talking about going back.  That we were never supposed to leave.  That the island needs us.  How creepy is that?

{September}

Tim watched his beloved BYU loose yet another game to the University of Utah for the third year in a row.
Tim was asked to attend a conference for work in Jackson Hole.  Best part was he got to take us!
We made a quick trip to Yellowstone and Emmy was able to witness Old Faithful for the first time.
As I was taking pictures of Emmy and Tim in Yellowstone  I noticed a tall, big, hairy creature running in the distance.  Of course we did the sensible thing and chased after it.  Believe it or not, we discovered the lair of the infamous Big Foot.  We're not going to tell you where, you'll just have to wait for our episode on Monsterquest airing on the History Channel January 15th.

{October}

Tim and I were invited to the attend the temple marriage of one of my young women.  It was one of the most rewarding moments of my life.
My sister Allyson graduated from Cosmetology school.  So proud of her!!
We were able to attend our fourth annual Tappana Halloween party dressed as a molar and the Tooth Fairy
We started receiving secondary application requests...again.
Jack got his first tooth!
Publishers Clearing House showed up on our porch with a check for 5 million dollars.  Sadly, the check was made out to our neighbors, who have since moved out of the neighborhood and into a mansion in Park City. The Publishers Clearing House people had looked at the address wrong, mistaking our house for theirs.  Sucked to be us.


{November}

I pulled out my sewing machine for a month of endless projects.
My sister and her family came for Thanksgiving for the first time in years.
For thanksgiving Dinner, we bought the largest turkey possible, and then as a joke, Tim walked around with it on his head.  We ended up in the emergency room for most of the evening as the hospital staff had to surgically remove it from his body. 

{December}

Tim interview at the University of Utah for medical school.  Pray for us!
The youngest Tappana brother, Jake, returned home after serving a two year LDS mission in Toronto, Canada.
I took on way too many projects this Christmas including making 12 superhero capes, 16 aprons, two purses, and 5 matching little girl dresses.  I'll never do that again.
My whole family was together again for Christmas.
Tim turned 30!
We had a successful evening of New Year's Eve Bingo.  Emmy even got in on the action.
Jack is growing a full beard and has developed a chest of hair over the last 9 months of his life.  He's definitely his Daddy's boy!

We hope your 2012 was WAY better than ours, and hope your 2013 end up being as amazing as we're praying ours will be.  May you make many happy memories, and have a very happy new year!


7 comments:

Jill said...

I love when you do these posts. They totally make my day!

Paul and Tammy said...

I was SO ecstatic when I saw this post. I look forward to your yearly recap. Very creative and fun. Sounds like an eventful year for you guys. You guys will be in our thoughts and prayers for medical school.

Carrie said...

these posts are fun! I hope you have a great year too. Love ya.

Caitlin said...

You have had quite the year. I can't believe the hospital gave you the wrong baby first! Thank goodness you know Jack is yours, seeing as he looks so much like your dad! ;)

Tim and Heidi said...

How long did this post take you? I think it would have taken me days to write:) Especially when all those crazy things happened this year!!!

Brandon and Julie said...

i have to say that I enjoyed your year more than you did I guess. Always fun to see what you have been up too and all the many adventures you guys get to be a part of.

Megan Ririe said...

I love your little family so much!!!!!!